Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday Morning Revelations

Ikea haven't forgotten to call me! They prize draw isn't until the 4th of November! Yay! Now that day can be more than just the day my council rates are due!.

Renters out there, whilst owning a home is a joy that is quite spectacular, enjoy the ability to quantifiable know every week how much it costs to put a roof over your head... When one owns a property the bills never really do stop, and as a unit owner I have the joy of not only the quarterly rates bills, but quarterly body corporate bills, and then there are the special levies to pay for things that haven't been budgeted for....

Don't get me wrong, at this stage, the ability to choose what happens to my space, the knowledge that the money I'm spending is for my future and the fact that I don't have any rental inspections, still puts home ownership into the positive experience, despite the never ending bills...

Sometimes I feel a bit like Marge Simpson when she is learning to paint, and she starts seeing the world as their base shapes that make everything up.... now I look at my flat in terms of dollars it is going to take to fix it/change it/modernise it. I can tell you now, there are a lot of dollar signs all over this flat! I think that for the past 30 years (since it was built), the previous owners of this property have closed their eyes when they saw those dollar signs, and only heeded them when they jumped out and smacked them in the face! I can't complain tooooo much, if this flat was maintained properly, I couldn't have afforded to buy it!

Today, I have a mammoth task of laundry (the washing machine decided to make very scary noises late last week, that I couldn't quite work out.... I took the back off the machine and tried to work it out, but gradually the noise got less and then went away again.... so I put the machine back together, but the laundry that didn't get done last week is a bit of a mountain....), I also need to make worm and booger tarts for tonight's Halloween party, make sure both BabyCakes and my costumes are in order, and work out how long it will take me, the make up impaired, to make up BabyCakes' face as The Crow....

1 comment:

The Wah said...

Girlclumsy is all excited about Ikea... my sister, debs, recently married a scottish boy and they have filled their new house with all sorts of Ikea bric-a-brac. Girlclumsy is chafing at the bit to get back to Oz and fill her house with Ikea bric-a-brac.. all i want is a foot hight remote control Dalek... ive always been the sensible one!

trip going well.. will see you all in the New year sometime