Thursday, April 10, 2008

It Could Have Been Better, it Could Have Been Worse

Yesterday I went to the US Consulate in Sydney. I was not immediately denied a US Visa, but I wasn't approved one either. I have to got to a panel physician for a physical because my offense was less than 5 years ago. Thankfully, they have a panel physician in Brisbane. I called yesterday and made an appointment for today (which, I again have to pay for out of pocket). I also decided to go for a 5 year visa and pay the less than $30 fee, rather than opting for the free 1 year visa. I don't know if we'll travel again in the next 5 years... but a $30 insurance against the hundreds of dollars the process has cost me this time.... worth it! The guy at the consulate indicated that I have a very good chance of having my health (and visa) approved given my otherwise clean record.

Hopefully today's appointment will be fairly straight forward, and I'll be able to get a visa.

I also went to a corset shop in Sydney while I was there. It was somewhat odd. I called and emailed last week to make sure they would have the corsets I wanted to try on in stock. I got a response of "Yes, they are." But they weren't. I did get to try on one that was kind of similar... and one that fit around the body, and one that fit in the bust, but not one that was similar, that fit my bust and body... Given the slim pickings everywhere else though, I did order (a pretty much custom) one.

With any luck, it will be delivered to me late next week, and it will fit.

So, it was a positive day, but I did not get the task complete feeling that I was looking for. Life is never dull, and I don't think I want it to be either.



The most amazing part of my day was watching the sun rise at the airport, and the cliché clouds below and sun above views out of the plane window as I flew to Sydney. They were truly stunning and wonderfully peaceful sights, which made me very happy to feel alive and see the beauty in amongst the stress I'm feeling. I wish I could describe what I saw and do it justice. I might have to try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderous sight isnt it? I have flown overnight many a times and the sight of the sun rising from above the clouds is so serene. *sigh* Ok, so I may be ready for some air travel again.
Glad to hear you got some things done even if you had no physical evidence to bring home with you. May I recommend a herbal bath and lots of candles and no noise at all for a spell of stress relief?

Crazy Cat Lady said...

Interestingly, someone else recommended a bath to me. It sounds like a great idea. I might have to be extra vigilant in my water consumption and allow myself the luxury of running one. It sounds heavenly.

The clouds were wonderful. They looked like a fluffy terrain, peaks and valleys of white and grey, the sun reflecting off their pristine beauty. Nature is where I often find a centering force and an infinite calm.
I love that nature can touch me like that it makes me thankful that beauty and awe can level me almost instantly and make me forget the pettiness and banalities that can overtake life on occasion, even if momentarily.

Girl Clumsy said...

Baths? My goodness.

No baths at Chez Clumsy - only showers. Doesn't stress me too much as I prefer showers. Even after a (half-full) bath years ago, I would follow up with a shower to get all the grit off.

That being said, a bath is nice when you've got a headache, or tummy ache.